About the SymposiumSt Athanasius College (SAC) and the University of Divinity (UD) will co-host an international symposium called COPTS IN MODERNITY from 13 – 16 July 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. The symposium will focus on the history of the Coptic Church and Community between the 18th and 21st Centuries. This international event will be held at the new Eporo Tower Campus, offering state-of-the-art facilities in central Melbourne, conveniently located near the airport, city transportation and accommodation.
Eporo Tower Venue
- SAC Eporo Tower Campus is located Level Three, 285 La Trobe St, Melbourne, Australia. The SAC Eporo Tower Campus is nestled in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD and just 100 metres from the Melbourne Central Train Station. For a street map of the conference location and more Eporo Tower information please visit: http://sac.edu.au/eporo-tower-campus/
Program and Speakers
- The program and the list of speakers and presentation topics will be available closer to the event.
Photo Exhibition and BookstoreThere will be a photo exhibition entitled Modernity Treasures featured at the symposium showcasing photographic gems from the 18th – 21st Centuries. In addition, Symposium attendees who are published authors can recommend their book/s feature in the onsite SAC Bookstore. Formal requests to submit your book title/s can be sent to Dr Lisa Agaiby E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration and FeesRegistrations and bookings can be made on Eventbrite. Please note Eventbrite charges a small additional administrative fee. To register and book tickets click here. The pricing structure for the symposium is as follows:
|Symposium Day and Date||Pricing||Notes|
|Friday 13 July||Complimentary||For paid attending delegates|
|Saturday 14 July||$50||Includes lunch; morning/afternoon tea|
|Sunday 15 July||$100||Includes lunch; morning/afternoon tea; official dinner|
|Monday 16 July||$50||Includes lunch; morning/afternoon tea|
|TOTAL COST||$200||Student Price: $180 (10% discount)|
Abstract SubmissionsThe SAC community extends a call for symposium papers on the Copts of Egypt in the pre-modern and modern period from the 18th Century through to the current time. The Organising Committee welcomes proposals from a broad range of disciplines and perspectives exploring aspects of the early modern and modern history of the Copts. Proposed Topics and Panels include: Art and Architecture; Theological Matters; Influential Patriarchs, Clergy and Lay People; Teaching and Education; Ecumenical Relations; Church Reformers and Influential Lay Leaders; Copts in Politics; Coptic Media; Monastic Revival, including Women in Monastic Life; Saints and Hagiography; Copts and/or Church in the Lands of Immigration. Please forward a symposium paper abstract (up to 300 words) in the English language for consideration by 31 October 2017 to Dr Lisa Agaiby E: email@example.com or Dr Nelly van Doorn Hader E: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Brady HotelBrady Hotel a modern 4.5 star hotel located in Melbourne CBD, a great hotel when you want to get out and explore all Melbourne has to offer. Only 50m from Melbourne Central and 6 blocks of shopping, dining, art and cultural experiences. The hotel has a variety of room types including guest rooms, studio apartments and 2 bedroom apartments, all with Juliette balconies, modern furnishings and designer bathrooms. We are delighted to partner with the Brady Hotel to offer our conference delegates a 5% discount package as follows:
- – Corporate Booking code COPTIC18
- – 48hr day prior to arrival cancellation policy without penalty
- – Free Wifi – 1GB daily data allowance
- – No Credit Card booking fees
- – $15 Breakfast rate (if added at the time of booking)
- – Onsite cardio gymnasium
To book and locate the daily rate click here and use the corporate code COPTIC18 to benefit from the preferred rates, flexible booking conditions and free Wi-Fi.
Visit their website www.bradyhotels.com.au
- Limited accommodation will be available at our Donvale Campus for clergy, with early registrations given a priority
- To inquire about a reservation in the SAC student accommodation, please contact Rev Dr Peter Dobson, Director of Academic Administration. E: email@example.com T: +61 3 8872 8452
- Melbourne Uber
- Melbourne Taxis
- Airport Shuttle Bus
- City Transport
- Note: Melbourne Central Station is located 100 metres from Eporo Tower.