CategoriesCH - Church History
Modern Coptic history is an emerging field of study which covers the period from 1798 to the present. The unit will address the factors that were threatening the loss of Coptic identity. Topics for study will include:
- the struggles both inwardly within the Coptic Church
- the pressures facing the Church in its relation to the State and the influence of British occupation
- the role that Western missionaries played in Egypt
- the figures that shaped the direction that the Church took including Pope Cyril IV, Pope Cyril V, St Habib Girgis among others
- the role that theological and religious education played during this period.